I watched a video recently featuring neuroscientist Dr. Lisa Feldman Barrett, and I expected to learn something interesting about the brain.
I did not expect to feel like someone had just handed me a scientific explanation for the journey I have been on for the last year.
One of the central ideas in the conversation was that our brains are constantly predicting.
They use our past experiences to anticipate what something means, how we should feel about it, and how we should respond.
In other words, we do not always experience life as a blank slate.
We experience the present through everything our brain has already learned.
That idea stopped me in my tracks.
Because when I look back at the last year, I realize that so much of my personal growth has been exactly this:
I have been relearning how to respond.
I have been relearning how to interpret things.
I have been relearning what deserves my fear, what deserves my energy, what deserves compassion, what requires a boundary, and what simply needs to be released.
And sometimes it really has felt like I was teaching my brain from the beginning.
The Space Between What Happens and What I Do With It
There was a time when something could happen and my emotional response felt immediate and absolute.
Something happens.
I feel something.
That feeling becomes a story.
The story becomes reality.
There was not always much space between those steps.
Over the last year, though, I have slowly been learning to create a pause.
Not a perfect pause.
Not every time.
But enough.
Something happens.
I notice my reaction.
And then I ask myself:
What am I actually feeling?
What story am I attaching to this?
Is that story true?
Is there another way to understand what is happening?
Who do I want to be in the way I respond?
That last question has become especially important to me.
Because growth has started to feel less like controlling what happens around me and more like becoming intentional about what happens within me.
Maybe the First Thought Is Not the Final Truth
One of the things I found most fascinating in the interview was the idea that the brain uses previous experience to make predictions about the present.
That means the first interpretation that appears in my mind may not necessarily be the most accurate one.
It might simply be the most practiced one.
That distinction feels enormous.
Maybe a fearful thought is not a prophecy.
Maybe anxiety is not always intuition.
Maybe discomfort does not automatically mean danger.
Maybe someone's behavior does not always mean what I initially assume it means.
Maybe a difficult moment does not have to become a difficult day.
And maybe I am allowed to interrupt the story before it becomes an entire emotional reality.
For me, this has required practice.
Sometimes a lot of practice.
There have been moments when I have almost had to talk myself through my own response:
No.
We are not going down that road.
Let's look at what actually happened.
Let's separate what we know from what we are afraid of.
Let's choose how we want to respond.
At first, that can feel strange.
Almost like you are fighting against yourself.
But now I wonder if I was never fighting myself at all.
Maybe I was simply teaching my brain something new.
Giving My Brain New Evidence
Another idea from the conversation that stayed with me was that change does not happen only because we intellectually decide to think differently.
Our brains learn from experience.
That means if I want to believe that I can handle discomfort, I have to occasionally experience discomfort and survive it.
If I want to believe that I can create boundaries without losing love, I have to practice boundaries.
If I want to believe that I am courageous, I have to do things while I am still afraid.
If I want to believe that I can move through uncertainty without spiraling, I have to give myself experiences where uncertainty does not destroy me.
Little by little, those experiences become evidence.
I can do this.
I can handle this.
I can pause.
I can choose differently.
I can be uncomfortable without immediately reacting.
I can feel something without becoming it.
And maybe that is how identity begins to change.
Not because we wake up one morning as a completely different person, but because we repeatedly behave like the person we are becoming.
The Question That Keeps Following Me
A question that has stayed with me this year is:
Who would I be in the absence of my concerns?
When I first sat with that question, the answers that came to me were things like:
Peace.
Love.
Kindness.
Patience.
Presence.
Happiness.
Joy.
Contentment.
At the time, I thought of those as qualities hidden underneath everything I worried about.
Now I see that question slightly differently.
Maybe those qualities are not simply waiting somewhere inside me to be uncovered.
Maybe they are also qualities I can practice.
Maybe peace is something I practice in the middle of uncertainty.
Maybe patience is something I practice when my first instinct is frustration.
Maybe compassion is something I practice while still maintaining a boundary.
Maybe presence is something I practice when my brain wants to live five steps into the future.
Maybe courage is not the absence of fear at all.
Maybe courage is evidence I give my brain that fear does not always get to make the decision.
Spiritual Practice and Neuroscience
What fascinated me most about this video was how much of it reminded me of things I have already been exploring through completely different practices.
Journaling.
Mindfulness.
Ritual.
Reflection.
Oracle cards.
Questions about courage, compassion, release, boundaries, presence, and unconditional love.
I have used those practices as ways to stop and examine my internal world.
To notice patterns.
To give meaning to experiences.
To ask myself what I want to carry forward and what I am ready to leave behind.
And now I am hearing a neuroscientist explain that the brain itself is continually learning from repetition, meaning, experience, and prediction.
The language is different.
The doorway is different.
But there is a beautiful overlap.
Both invite me to become more conscious of the story I am creating around my life.
I Am Not Erasing the Person I Was
I think this is important.
Relearning myself does not mean rejecting the person who learned those old responses.
Those responses existed for reasons.
Some protected me.
Some helped me navigate earlier versions of my life.
Some were developed during circumstances that no longer exist.
I do not need to shame myself for having learned them.
But I also do not have to keep using every survival strategy forever simply because it once worked.
I can thank an old response for protecting me and still decide that I need something different now.
That may be one of the gentlest lessons of this entire journey.
I do not have to hate who I was in order to become who I am becoming.
Relearning Myself
When I look back at this past year, I can see hundreds of tiny moments where I chose something slightly different.
A different interpretation.
A different reaction.
A boundary instead of resentment.
Compassion instead of judgment.
Curiosity instead of certainty.
A pause instead of an immediate response.
Presence instead of spiraling.
Courage while still afraid.
None of those moments seemed monumental on their own.
But maybe transformation is rarely one monumental moment.
Maybe it is hundreds of tiny moments where you give your brain a new experience.
And eventually those experiences begin to tell a different story about who you are.
That is what I think I have been doing.
I have not been trying to become someone else.
I have been teaching myself that there are more ways to be me.
And somewhere along the way, those new responses have started to feel less like something I am practicing and more like something I am becoming.
Maybe that is what growth actually feels like.
Not waking up one day completely transformed.
But slowly realizing that the version of you who once had to work incredibly hard to choose differently has become the version of you who simply does.
No comments:
Post a Comment